Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tightwad economy or "It's only a dime"

Every week I have a tradition of treating myself on Tuesdays, I get a massage and go to Sonic before work. My favorite drink at Sonic is their Java Chiller (Caramel flavor), which is a coffee drink that costs $2.69 plus tax for a regular size.
side note: I realize that this blog may come across a tad hypocritical being that I splurge on massages on a regular basis however, I really believe that the long 12 hour shifts that I work (overnight) places undue stress on my body that only massage can even out (and it keeps my immune system at its peak which is necessary for my work in health care).

This week I ordered my usual and paid cash. The girl handed me the receipt and for some reason I actually looked at it. Sonic tacked on and extra 10cents for the caramel flavor! No where on the order board does it say that there is an extra charge for your flavor unless you are wanting to add an additional flavor. So, I know I am being nitpicky but I pushed the order button and informed them of the mistake. The manager said she would come right out. She did, and I showed her the receipt for $2.69 charge for the drink and the additional $.10 for the flavor. She said that when she just rang it up inside it was charging $2.59 plus the $.10 but that they had done some menu updating in their computer system and she would let "them" know of the problem. She didn't offer me my dime back - it is only a dime so why am I making such a big deal about it? It is the principal of the thing. Think about all the other people who don't notice they are being charged an extra dime here and there, and then think about how many times a day this happens...after just one day it could mean hundreds if not thousands of extra dollars for Sonic just for one stupid computer mistake and a lack of consumer attention. You can bet I am going to check my receipt from now on and keep them from ripping us off one dime at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment